Time Compression While Flying

Place general information and questions here

Moderators: Staff, HR, Flight Ops

JRMurray
www.meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by JRMurray »

" Some of the Globe Cargo routes are pretty long (10 hours +). For what it's worth, I don't use time compression. So far, the longest flight I've done is the KLAX-KSEA route, which for me takes around 2.5 hours--including taxiing. So ... a question: Do you use time compression when you fly? Cheers! Joel "
jcboliveira

Post by jcboliveira »

" I can't say that it isn't tempting <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> but there is a problem with that. Since FS time runs slower than real time to get correct flight values you will need to sync both. The FSUIPC option is disabled with time compression don't know how FS Real Time does. So I'm doing the flight in a Saturday or Sunday trying to make it work with family comitements. It's not easy since RfP is a plane that doesn't allow you to go for a long walk and come back, it's a plane that requires attention. Regards "
nwadc10
Site Admin

Post by nwadc10 »

" Personally, I'm anti-time compression (but you can do whatever you want <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> ). In my 10+ years of flight simming I've used it once back in FS98 days. The result was that I crashed my Learjet into the Gulf of Mexico <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> Justin "
Justin Erickson, Captain #1040
Chief Executive Officer
Globe Cargo PIREP (GCP) Developer
ceo-at-globecargova.org
Vatsim ID: 871725

the_opt

Post by the_opt »

" I agree that it is very tempting on some of them long hauls, but as was mentioned RFP isnt a good plane to do that with. There is a chance that you will run fuel tanks dry and lose an engine or two if you dont use the fuel system correctly. Not that I would know or anything <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> "
JRMurray

Post by JRMurray »

" Thanks for the answers, guys. I myself have almost never used time compression. So ... next question: how DO you fly the long hauls? :-) Cheers! Joel "
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

" Generally I just try to be in the vicinity of my PC or the house depending on the flight, I can't always just take 8 hrs straight flying with not much happening over the Atlantic or wherever. I found that if you use the MSFS ATC IFR flight plans that as long as you acknowledge the last transmission to change frequencies and just leave it at the last frequency that your IFR flight plan will not be cancelled and you can tune in the new center once you are ready to fly the approach. They will give you a couple of turn orders, just acknowledge them and continue flying your current heading and the ATC will catch up to you. "
Robert

Post by Robert »

" Well, I just finished KMIA-LGAV, LGAV-KMIA over this w/e holiday. And I will fly it each w/e this month. All real time, I have a distinct dislike of the sim rate option. Hardcore, yeah, I guess, but I like it to be real, and the TV wasn't too bad. Actually I spend lots of my flight time chatting through IM or RW or Teamspeak. So if you want to talk my IM address is rwh41@msn.com, use name is Robert. "
PetriSuni

Post by PetriSuni »

" Hi guys! I normally do not fly the long routes, but rather only do the around 2 hours or so ones. There I do not use time compression. But sometimes, when I like to takeoff with a full fuel load and do what the 747 was meant to do, I take a 10-15 hour flight, but with those I ALWAYS use the time compression. I don't know about the rest of you but I cannot sit 10 hours in front of the computer (weekend or not), my wife would kill me. And it would be boooooring as well. I rather time-skip those portions of the cruise phase where no fuel panel fiddling is required and the plane just flies along on autopilot & INS, with nothing to do for me. That's what the time-skip feature is there for! Well, just my two cents, anyway. Petri "
jcboliveira

Post by jcboliveira »

No time compression gives me something that I love: the adrenaline when doing the approach and landing. Nothing beats the feeling of after 11 Hour flight doing a fine landing <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo--> Regarding the family that's what I talked about. With some luck you can sync everything. However since I work a lot at home can do some long flight and it's a nice way to switch from work from time to time. Now I'm somewhere over Russia. Regards