Passengers on Cargo flights?

Place general information and questions here

Moderators: Staff, HR, Flight Ops

radarb8
www.meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Passengers on Cargo flights?

Post by radarb8 »

My adventurous nephew is looking to get on a cargo flight as a passenger/videographer (as allowed by the crew, of course 8) ).

His only stipulation is that the flight(s) originate from ORD. :!: (He knows he will need to arrange return transportation.)

He does not work in the industry and has no better link or contact than me .. :roll: which is not saying much. :wink:

His resulting "inside look" amature video coverage and commentary would be shared for all to see on Youtube and the like... Just for the experience. 8)

Is this something that can be arranged, or is this the wrong era to even think it possible? Is there a reasonable cost, or an expensive proposition?

Interested in any replys.
alex_6523

Re: Passengers on Cargo flights?

Post by alex_6523 »

Well, Cargo flights was obviously a good choice. You have a better chance of hell freezing over of being to do that on say American Airlines. I would try sending a very nice written letter to the main operations. If you don't have any luck, give a call or e-mail. If still no luck, you might want to try Singapore Cargo, or the likes. They might be more willing to have someone along for the ride, but I'm not sure how comfortable his family with be given he would be taken to far corners of the globe. As for the cost... I'm not sure. It depends on what kind of mood they are in I suppose, they may charge or just say no all together. It's probably a hit and miss and if he isn't a "known" videographer or part of a company they may say no, but hey! It's always worth a shot. The worst they could say is no.
Brogs

Post by Brogs »

Probably have to buy insurance also !
Member with over 30 posts

Post by 1691 »

Any passenger on a cargo flight is considered a jumpseater, and all jumpseaters have to be active in a security program called CASS. The first requirement (before the background check) is that person must be an active employee at an airline that participates in the program. Based on that, I am not to sure how that would work.
Allan Burek-1691
Coordinator, Aircraft Maintenance Operations
mx@globecargova.org

Live Flight Deck Camera
radarb8

Post by radarb8 »

Thanks for the comments and bit of reality to the endeavor. :?

I thought this was looking unlikley, but he would not take my word for it. :roll:

He is not one to take NO for an answer so I expect he will look into that CASS program. I wouldn't be surprized if he looks into the employment angle as well. :lol:

Again thanks for the slightly encouraging comments. :D

Post by 1691 »

Just a heads up, he would have to be a mechanic, pilot or flight attendant to be in CASS.
Allan Burek-1691
Coordinator, Aircraft Maintenance Operations
mx@globecargova.org

Live Flight Deck Camera
nwadc10
Site Admin

Post by nwadc10 »

As Allan said in different words, CASS isn't an option to anyone other than authorized airline employees, it isn't something you can buy into. In this case, your nephew will be required to accept "no" for an answer ;) US airlines aren't allowed to have visitors in the cockpit in flight for passenger flights anyhow, not sure if it's the same for cargo flights.

The only thing that comes to mind would be to solicit a foreign carrier with this request. I've heard some european pax airlines will allow a passenger to ride in the cockpit jumpseat for the entire flight.
Justin Erickson, Captain #1040
Chief Executive Officer
Globe Cargo PIREP (GCP) Developer
ceo-at-globecargova.org
Vatsim ID: 871725

Brogs

Post by Brogs »

[quote="nwadc10"]As Allan said in different words, CASS isn't an option to anyone other than authorized airline employees, it isn't something you can buy into. In this case, your nephew will be required to accept "no" for an answer ;) US airlines aren't allowed to have visitors in the cockpit in flight for passenger flights anyhow, not sure if it's the same for cargo flights.

The only thing that comes to mind would be to solicit a foreign carrier with this request. I've heard some european pax airlines will allow a passenger to ride in the cockpit jumpseat for the entire flight.[/quote/]

The last time I flew from Tenerife, I was sitting in the Cockpit chatting to the Crew , but i had to leave before takeoff as their regs didn,t allow for Pax in the Cockpit, otherwise I could have sat there for the duration,, and recently a Pilot was sacked for having a passenger in the Cockpit during a Flight, and this was a Private Charter for a Football Club, so I don,t think its an English Carrier Justin :(
Mike Bridge

Post by Mike Bridge »

Did someone metion SQ ??
Dont even bother with them.

Every flight into Australia, they have 2x security guards on the plane, one upstairs at the door and one under the plane.
I was allowed on with the SQ Manager, but strictly no photos allowed!

As for flying with the plane - When we do Live stock charters, they require minders to travel with them.
I kid you not, would be over 30 pages of paperwork for security per person to travel on our aircraft, as they are US registered.

Long gone are the good old days!
Mike Bridge
Brisbane, Australia - YBBN
nharwood

Post by nharwood »

Things have definitely changed in the past 25 years! My dad retired from TWA, and I remember as a kid going to work with him (he was a jet refueler) and riding around on the ramp, climbing in the belly of DC9s & 727's, even riding on the Tug during pushback... The only comment people made was, "isn't that cute, such a little boy out there with his father!" Nowaday's he'd be fired for even THINKING about it.

This was at DTW, so not a small regional airport.

Ah, Ambassador class on an L-1011 / 742... those were the days!
John Khan

Post by John Khan »

Yes I remember it well.

When I worked in the load control and out on the tarmac in the early 70s, we used to take people (mainly young ones) out for a walk and let them have a look in the aircraft that were parked. There was security there, but if they knew you there was no problem. Obviously nobody could just walk out there on their own.

John