New Pilot & Failures Settings

Place general information and questions here

Moderators: Staff, HR, Flight Ops

engliska
www.meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

New Pilot & Failures Settings

Post by engliska »

Hi Everyone,

I just joined GCVA and am loving every minute so far...I love the realistic routes, aircraft assignments, and especially the PIREP system and the ability to download panel states. By far my best VA experience to date.

I was poking around the website and noticed the very detailed maintenance logs for each of the aircraft in the fleet. Do you folks generally set anything up for "failures" in PMDG? If so, what is the preferred setting? Obviously I don't want an unrealistic amount of systems/mechanical failures burdening the fleet, but am striving to maximize realism too.

Please let me know.
John Khan

Re: New Pilot & Failures Settings

Post by John Khan »

Hi Kevin and welcome to Globe Cargo

I have a feeling that most people have the failures turned off, - as we sometimes have some problems with the PMDGs especially the 744s, mainly connected withe weather programs such as Active Sky.

Others will tell you what they do personally, but as far as the VA goes, there are no set requirement for this.

Have fun

John
mav214

Post by mav214 »

Hey Kevin,

Welcome to GC, and glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. I do not have any failures turned on. Some flights are exciting enough when the AP just decides to go nuts ;) I also think that Allan might take offense to the fact that by setting failures...you are in fact suggesting that he does a substandard job of fleet maintenance, lol.

I've submitted a maintenance report twice since being here.....first time was due to a hard landing on my very first flight (I'm much, much better at landing softly now, Allan ;) ), and the other time I had some indicators turn on during the flight (and I think that was due to my loading fuel using the PMDG loader).
jacques

Post by jacques »

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to GCVA!! I agree that most people seem not to have activated failures in their aircraft. However, those that do have them activated generate some really great emergency charters and test flights to effect the necessary repairs! I think Allen covered what he considered a realistic failure rate in the following post: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4291
And, yeah, this IS a pretty fun VA to be a part of. I was doing a pilot cert. in LA last night on VATSIM and saw, at least three other members either arriving or departing (and one who was controlling) from the SOCAL area in the hour that I was flying...it isn't a big group of pilots, but we do represent!

Jay P.
dodougla

Post by dodougla »

My dealing with failures is kinda silly, but I'll share anyway.

I have a coin on the shelf next to my PC. I flip it twice. If I get heads BOTH times, I activate random failures at the "rarest" setting. If I get tails either time (tails never...fails... hehe) failures stay off for that flight.

It works for me and adds a little extra randomness and chance to the mix.

Don
engliska

Post by engliska »

Gents,

Appreciate the welcomes and failures guidance. I like the "flip a coin" idea...I think I will have to go with that one :)

-Kevin