767 Comparisons

Here is where the coffee machine and Coke machine are kept. Please clean up after yourself and do not remove the magazines from this area. A good place to exchange thoughts with Operations personel and other pilots.

Moderators: Staff, HR, Flight Ops

jacques
www.meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

767 Comparisons

Post by jacques »

in light of the possibility of more 767 flights, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the Level D 767 v Captain Sim version 767. I began re-installing LVLD, but gave up once I remembered just how broken it is and how many patches need to be applied to get it running smoothly. Does Captain Sim come close to the depth of systems modelling, or is it more of an "install, draw a line on FSX map and go fly"? :shock:
Thanks for any responses.

Just to be clear, I do have the documentation and have watched some video reviews so I'm not being lazy. I'm just looking for honest opinions of the quality and depth of modelling!
Member with over 30 posts

Re: 767 Comparisons

Post by 2957 »

The Captain Sim 76 is Alright..... It has quite a few issues and needs a few tweaks to be worth much at all. Once its messed with a bit . New sounds, cockpit textures, auto throttle issues. After that it is O K. Not the best at all. I have windows 8.1 now and had to use it for a year or so until i really missed the LvlD. I did some reading in forums and got the Level D working very well on my machine. Fixed the sounds. Added the patches and newer flight deck textures . I have fallen back in love with the Level D 76. Its still a amazing plane and puts the captain sim plane to shame.

Like i said, The captain sim plane gets the job done but snit worth the cost. If you can buy it during a Captain sim sale. Snag it.

My vote is LvlD
Yorik Cade
Vice President
Captain
Pilot # 2957

jacques

Post by jacques »

Hi Yorik,

Thanks for the reply and your opinion. I was hoping it (Captain Sim) might have been more stable and complete from the start. But since that apparently isn't so, I'm probably better off re-installing LVLD and working through all the patches and upgrades. I do have good memories of flying with the LVLD and since the PMDG is currently unusable on my system I'm going to need something to fly!

Thanks again!

JP
Member with over 30 posts

Post by 2957 »

I flew the Level D from the day it came out until about 4 years ago. Now that i am back in it i realize how great it was made. I hear Captain Sim is making a Version 2 of the 767... Who knows when.

Yorik Cade
Vice President
Captain
Pilot # 2957

nwadc10
Site Admin

Post by nwadc10 »

Level D is a good solid addon, I didn't have any problems with it. The issue with it now is that it's so OLD. I have flown both and they are pretty comparable.

Level D "feels" good. I don't know how to describe that in more detail other than interacting with the different panels is very clean and what's simulated seems quite good. Flight dynamics I think are better than CS. CS seems to have bits and pieces less simulated than Level D and other parts as good or slightly better than LD. One thing that has stood out for me in the CS models (beyond just the 767) is the visuals of the annunciator lights. Somehow they seemed to really capture the effect of an illuminated annunciator that I haven't seen in any other model.

To sum it all up, I prefer CS. That's simply because the dev team still exists. I'd consider it a wash otherwise but I'd give the edge to LD just out of respect of what they've done for FS. I had the original 767 PIC product that later became LD, it was my first purchased addon in fact and boy was I spoiled...I've purchased a number of less than desirable addons since then!
Justin Erickson, Captain #1040
Chief Executive Officer
Globe Cargo PIREP (GCP) Developer
ceo-at-globecargova.org
Vatsim ID: 871725

jacques

Post by jacques »

Hi Justin, I appreciate your reply. Here is my update to the situation. Last year, after encountering some corruption in my boxed FSX installation, I decided to uninstall that and everything else FS related. At the same time, I allowed Microsoft to migrate W7 to 10 and I installed FSX:SE when that was done. It has been really pretty fluid with no problems and everything has worked really well. Until last week, then the PMDG 744 load manager could no longer be run. So, I spent the better part of a day gathering the necessary information and files to re-install LVLD. I really love this aircraft! Sadly, I think W10 and/or Steam don't like it. LVLD installed fine, got the liveries in, she looked good, started fine. But there were a whole slew of quirks. The engines shut down on the ramp after startup, they derated to idle after t/o. The graphics were stuttering so bad, I remembered what it was like to fly in the early versions of FS. I could have probably spent another day or so trying to tune these behaviors out. Or maybe Steam just isn't compatible with LVLD. But, like you said, its useful life is nearing the end, so I pulled the plug. I think I'm going to buy the PMDG NGX. And, I will hopefully not have a really long wait for the new 744! I may revisit the CS 767, but you need to exercise a lot of caution when buying products that DON'T say they are optimized for both W10 and Steam!

Apologies for the "wall of words" . :lol: