TeamSpeak or Discord?

Here is where the coffee machine and Coke machine are kept. Please clean up after yourself and do not remove the magazines from this area. A good place to exchange thoughts with Operations personel and other pilots.

Moderators: Staff, HR, Flight Ops

nwadc10
Site Admin
www.meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

TeamSpeak or Discord?

Post by nwadc10 »

I recently heard about a VOIP system competing with TeamSpeak called Discord. It's completely free (most TS servers are payware, we are still on Volker's server that he provides us for free) and they claim the quality is superior to TS.

I just installed it and created a GCVA server. I am curious what everyone's thoughts are about switching to Discord. Whether or not we switch, if you'd like to check out the GCVA server just post here and I'll send you an invite. I haven't setup anything on the server but I'll look more into that if there's any interest in switching.

Discord also appears to be a text chat program in addition to voice. They advertise it's designed for gamers. If anyone has used this system and would like to add more information or correct anything I've mentioned please feel free to post.
Justin Erickson, Captain #1040
Chief Executive Officer
Globe Cargo PIREP (GCP) Developer
ceo-at-globecargova.org
Vatsim ID: 871725

nwadc10
Site Admin

Re: TeamSpeak or Discord?

Post by nwadc10 »

I have done some minor setup of the server. I'll be off and on for a couple days if anyone would like to test Discord.

Download Discord at https://discordapp.com/

Here is an invite link to the server: https://discord.gg/xumGZmF
This invite link is only temporary and set that anyone using it will be removed from the member list when disconnecting. The link can be used 25 times before it is deactivated. This is only temporary for testing purposes and if we switch there will be a more permanent method put in place.
Chief Executive Officer
ceo-at-globecargova.org

nwadc10
Site Admin

Post by nwadc10 »

I am finding that Discord could be a viable option for permanent use. It's not just voice but also a very well working instant messenger. I see some benefit to the text when you need help or don't have time to voice chat or wouldn't otherwise be appropriate. All contained within this one program.

Discord is available across all platforms and can even run from within a browser.

So far only 1 person has been testing this program besides myself, I hope more are able to come check it out. If you have problems joining the GCVA server via the invite above please drop a line here and I'll get it sorted out.
Chief Executive Officer
ceo-at-globecargova.org

AmundRe
Member with over 30 posts

Post by AmundRe »

Downloaded it today. Have there been any issues between discord and Vatsim? Also, it looks like Discord is an active mic environment so if we're on Discord and need to talk to ATC, won't everyone who's also on the Discord server be able to hear everyone else's radio calls?
Best Regards,
Captain Joppich, Steven "Mongoloid"
Pilot# 2011
"Hammer taken away from Midget."
nwadc10
Site Admin

Post by nwadc10 »

AmundRe wrote:Downloaded it today. Have there been any issues between discord and Vatsim? Also, it looks like Discord is an active mic environment so if we're on Discord and need to talk to ATC, won't everyone who's also on the Discord server be able to hear everyone else's radio calls?
You can set Discord to a PTT. Set it to a key other than vatsim comms or TS if that's also running. I haven't tested with other comm programs running so it's unkown if there's any interference. I suspect there isn't but unverified.
Chief Executive Officer
ceo-at-globecargova.org

jfriz

Post by jfriz »

I'll be glad to check it out..
I wonder why no one uses Team Speak. I try to log on when ever flying a flight, never see anyone.
Jerry Friz
Jfriz
GCA Captain 2200

“The Wright Brothers created the single greatest cultural force since the invention of writing. The airplane became the first World Wide Web, bringing people, languages, ideas, and values together.” – Bill Gates
jfriz

Post by jfriz »

Hi Justin,
I downloaded it and installed. Could not get it to work. Looks like a gamers tool.
I will uninstall it.
TS works very good for me, and can send files, etc. in the browser. Chat box, etc.
Push to talk key.
Jfriz
GCA Captain 2200

“The Wright Brothers created the single greatest cultural force since the invention of writing. The airplane became the first World Wide Web, bringing people, languages, ideas, and values together.” – Bill Gates
AmundRe

Post by AmundRe »

jfriz wrote:Hi Justin,
I downloaded it and installed. Could not get it to work. Looks like a gamers tool.
I will uninstall it.
TS works very good for me, and can send files, etc. in the browser. Chat box, etc.
Push to talk key.
To a degree, it is a gamer's tool but it also allows you to send/share files, push-to-talk, etc. You just have to poke around a bit. When I first downloaded it, I spent about 20 minutes just going through menus and settings to see what was there. If the PTT is the big issue, you can change that by clicking on the user settings button at the bottom next to your name and going into the voice menu. There you can select PTT and set the keyboard shortcut. Then it's simply a matter of using FSUIPC to bind that key combination to a button on your yoke, or wherever you'd like. I personally have it bound to a button on my headset and leave the button on the yoke for ATC.

I hope this helps a bit. If you still have trouble, let me know and we'll get it figured out. :D
Best Regards,
Captain Joppich, Steven "Mongoloid"
Pilot# 2011
"Hammer taken away from Midget."
jfriz

Post by jfriz »

Hi Steven,
I have been using Ts for at least 10 years. The audio is very good, depending on the users. Easy to install, set-up, and use, it's not broke now, they update it all the time, it just gets better. And it does all the above.

The problem is, people are afraid to use it. I see it as a great tool for helping new pilots get started,.
Regards,
Jerry Friz
PS
I have noticed that people connected via Wi-Fi, will fade in and out. .This will happen on any Team Speak
Jfriz
GCA Captain 2200

nwadc10
Site Admin

Post by nwadc10 »

Sorry for being late to the party here...

The primary reason I went looking for a TS replacement is because of the TS server system. TS requires either a paid server in which users pay for x number of slots (simultaneous users) or run the server software free on your own computer. Our current TS server is hosted free on Volker's server system but Volker is no longer with the VA.

The TS server setup in terms of permissions and whatnot is complicated.

Discord on the other hand is completely free with no slot limitations. It also runs from either a downloaded program or even from a web browser. There are some features that are not intuitive though. It is new software that is in continual development and the developers are open to suggestions. The chat/IM function is full-fledged and easy to use as well as the file transfer system.

Discord isn't perfect, I too was a bit confused about some things but was able to do a search and figure it out. I haven't decided for or against it yet either. The issues you may have had could be due to the invite system becoming expired - not sure if it has or not. If you want to try again I can help directly.
Chief Executive Officer
ceo-at-globecargova.org

jfriz

Post by jfriz »

Hell again,
Sorry to hear Volker is no longer with us. Discord, also got into a file, had a hard time getting rid of it. Not sure, if I have all the pieces removed.
I would rather use TS, it has been flawless for many years for me. Like I said before very few people use it anyway. One reason, I suspect they don't know what it is. Or where it is.
Regards,
Jerry
Jfriz
GCA Captain 2200

Volker Jacob
Site Admin

Post by Volker Jacob »

Hello gent's, I`m still alive, but very busy - i would prefer DISCORD at the moment because of it's Features and zero costs!
Sorry for bad English! - I'm not a man of many words!

BR
Volker
jacques

Post by jacques »

Hey Guys,

I will give this a try tomorrow. I like TS but I am willing to give another portal a look and, I have heard good things about Discord.
Firefighter18

Post by Firefighter18 »

Discord is an excellent comunication software... All the things that have if we compare to TS3, are many.

-100% Free
-Create own server
-Instant messenger with emoticons and fast. (You can even send screenshots right away if you need assistance on the chat)
-Connection is great, no lag.
-Option to moderate the channels and administrate the users
-Etc....

I always liked TS3, but since Discord came out... Well, being said what I just put in the list, I feel sorry for TS3 business.

Cheers!
jfriz

Post by jfriz »

Hi Folks,
I tried Discord,, did not care for it. Had a hard time removing it also.
TS, does it all, like mentioned above.
I'll stick with TS.
But, no one used TS, what difference does it make?
Jerry Friz
Jfriz
GCA Captain 2200