ActiveSky 2016

Here is where the coffee machine and Coke machine are kept. Please clean up after yourself and do not remove the magazines from this area. A good place to exchange thoughts with Operations personel and other pilots.

Moderators: Staff, HR, Flight Ops

hawkeyeted
www.meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

ActiveSky 2016

Post by hawkeyeted »

Any users of AS16?

I flew from Miami to Port-of-Spain yesterday. METAR at TTPP was reported as winds 100@7G15, Vis 10+ with occasional SHRA. When I got there, I was flying in Hurricane Irma. It was raining, but the visibility was good. I could see the runway environment at ~7 miles. However, the 1500 ft updrafts and 50kt. gusts caused me to take a GA on the initial pass because I couldn't get the plane stable. One updraft lifted my plane two units high on the G/S and kept me there.

Clearly AS16 missed the mark on replicating the depicted weather. I know I can artificially put limits on the winds, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was AS not depicting the weather correctly. It put me in an environment that wasn't even close to the METAR depiction.

That said, if you're using AS16, what settings are you using to get more accurate depiction?
khelm
Member with over 30 posts

Re: ActiveSky 2016

Post by khelm »

When AS16 starts acting squirrely I find rebooting it usually solves the issue
"In Thrust We Trust"
Kevin Helmboldt
Pilot Number 1684
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.helmboldt
hawkeyeted

Post by hawkeyeted »

It seems unique when encountering Caribbean Wx. AS (metaphorically) sets all the sliders to max. What should be just a passing rain scud with high temp and humidity turns into a tropical storm.
hawkeyeted

Post by hawkeyeted »

I think I got this figured out. There is an option when not selected, forces thunderstorms when "CB" is present in the METAR. When selected, thunderstorms are only present when "TS" is in the METAR.

I turned it on and took a flight from Miami to Quito last night, and the weather was much more realistic.