KSUU RNAV 21R w/ CDAP approach

Here is where the coffee machine and Coke machine are kept. Please clean up after yourself and do not remove the magazines from this area. A good place to exchange thoughts with Operations personel and other pilots.

Moderators: Staff, HR, Flight Ops

hawkeyeted
www.meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

KSUU RNAV 21R w/ CDAP approach

Post by hawkeyeted »

Decided to skip the ILS and try something I haven't done in a while. Performed the RNAV 21R at Travis and flew a CDAP to landing. Right on the money. :D
nwadc10
Site Admin

Re: KSUU RNAV 21R w/ CDAP approach

Post by nwadc10 »

hawkeyeted wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:18 pm
Decided to skip the ILS and try something I haven't done in a while. Performed the RNAV 21R at Travis and flew a CDAP to landing. Right on the money. :D
Is that the same thing as Constant Angle Non-Precision Approach (CANPA)?
Justin Erickson, Captain #1040
Chief Executive Officer
Globe Cargo PIREP (GCP) Developer
ceo-at-globecargova.org
Vatsim ID: 871725

hawkeyeted

Post by hawkeyeted »

nwadc10 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:07 pm
Is that the same thing as Constant Angle Non-Precision Approach (CANPA)?
CDAP=Constant Descent Approach Procedure. I'm pretty certain it is the same. I've heard it called different names, but the premise is the same.

Once the FAF Alt is captured, I set MDA+50 in the MCP. At .3nm from the FAF I drive the plane down with the V/S (@150kts, a 3* descent angle is approx 700-800 FPM), and you have to be heavy-handed to get it started. The FAF passes under the nose pretty quick. Once the descent is underway, I just monitor the PAPI and adjust the FPM to stay on the G/S.

This is pretty much the only way to fly into San Diego on the LOC27 approach. To add to the fun, it's a 3.5* approach angle so that you can clear the Laurel Travel building, meaning the FPM will be closer to 800-900 FPM.
nwadc10
Site Admin

Post by nwadc10 »

Ok, it does sound like the same thing. Flight Ops at my airline calls it CANPA and we are going to begin doing these in the real world soon.
Justin Erickson, Captain #1040
Chief Executive Officer
Globe Cargo PIREP (GCP) Developer
ceo-at-globecargova.org
Vatsim ID: 871725

hawkeyeted

Post by hawkeyeted »

nwadc10 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:46 pm
Ok, it does sound like the same thing. Flight Ops at my airline calls it CANPA and we are going to begin doing these in the real world soon.
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after doing it first hand.