Computer Crash & Uncompleted Flight

Here is where the coffee machine and Coke machine are kept. Please clean up after yourself and do not remove the magazines from this area. A good place to exchange thoughts with Operations personel and other pilots.

Moderators: Staff, HR, Flight Ops

JRBarrett
www.meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by JRBarrett »

"Greetings! I'm a new member of Globe Cargo. Last night, I attempted to make my first flight - choosing PO72 SCEL-KMIA from the Open Board system, as I have not yet had an opportunity to bid. For maximum realism, I stayed up all night to fly the trip in ""real time"" - departing at the actual scheduled time of 22:30 local. Everything went perfectly until about 100 miles from MIA. In the decent, I had an unexpected hard crash to a black screen. The PC was completely locked up, and I had to push the reset button to get out of it. Arghhh! <!--emo&:angry:-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]<!--endemo--> The flight I signed up for was a Friday trip, and it is now too late to do it again per the schedule. Fortunately, I do run FSACARS on a second PC (laptop), so I was able to save the log up to that point. Just wanted to be sure that I won't be penalized for signing up for a trip, and not completeing it. I'm sure the logs for the real-time Flight Board will show that I did do about 95% of the flight. I think I know why the crash happened, but unfortunately, it's too late to recover PO72 now... Is here any SOP when one has to abort a scheduled flight due to this sort of problem? Jim Barrett Pilot 1144"
Saber

Post by Saber »

"Don't sweat it ... The administrators are understanding. I had the same problem with SBKP to KORD last month. Talk with your hub managers to resolve the issue. Generally, if you note your block departure time and block arrival time with fuel they can work the hours for you. In the future, consider using autosave. It will save any flight at different intervals (up to ten I believe). If you suffer a computer crash you can choose the point at which to resume the flight. Its neat. It will save you the fustration (and fear) of an eight hour haul only to lose it 100 miles out. You can get it from avsim or flightsim. Look for the file ""autosave.zip"". Install he .dll to your modules folder--voila. Blue skies..."
esurfman
Member with over 30 posts

Post by esurfman »

"Jim, you can fly the route again, just change the time and date on your computer. <!--emo&;)-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]<!--endemo-->"
Louis Sanson
Pilot 1068
Captain 747-400 777-200/300 737
Vatsim id # 964473
BarryTheAviator

Post by BarryTheAviator »

"<!--QuoteBegin-Saber+Dec 11 2004, 09:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Saber @ Dec 11 2004, 09:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You can get it from avsim or flightsim.  Look for the file ""autosave.zip"".  Install he .dll to your modules folder--voila. Blue skies... [right][snapback]2502[/snapback][/right] <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> <!--emo&:excl:-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/excl.gif[/img]<!--endemo--> Be careful using Autosave though - be aware that it will NOT save any CIVA INS information so you will NOT be able to use the INS from a restarted flight <!--emo&<_<-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]<!--endemo--> also you will need to check all your various switch and valve settings (e.g. fuel,tanks, air conditioning, EPR Limiter etc) as these may (or may not) be saved correctly. Use pause immediately you restart a saved flight and carefully check each panel and switch/valve setting, when all OK then un-pause and carry on (with no INS tho') <!--emo&:excl:-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/excl.gif[/img]<!--endemo--> "
JRBarrett

Post by JRBarrett »

"<!--QuoteBegin-esurfman+Dec 13 2004, 08:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esurfman @ Dec 13 2004, 08:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jim, you can fly the route again, just change the time and date on your computer. <!--emo&;)-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]<!--endemo--> [right][snapback]2514[/snapback][/right] <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I did it again Sunday afternoon, and it worked out fine this time. After doing some research on the computer crash, I believe it had to do with some AGP settings on my video card - I made some changes there, so hopefully I won't have that problem again. Jim Barrett Pilot 1144"