Polar Air Cargo to leave ILN for CVG?

Here is where the coffee machine and Coke machine are kept. Please clean up after yourself and do not remove the magazines from this area. A good place to exchange thoughts with Operations personel and other pilots.

Moderators: Staff, HR, Flight Ops

RCR
www.meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Polar Air Cargo to leave ILN for CVG?

Post by RCR »

I feel like a gossip columnist, but I found this bit of info while surfing the 'net and thought I would share:

http://www.oagcargo.com/message.asp?act ... sage=39730

The article says that as of Aug 1st, Polar will transition its midwest ops from Wilmington (ILN) back to Covington (Cincinnati -CVG). Looking at FlightAware, already I see a PAC flight from ANC to CVG. Covington used to be DHL's midwest base prior to moving to Wilmington. Looks like they might be moving back?

Regards, -R
Member with over 30 posts

Re: Polar Air Cargo to leave ILN for CVG?

Post by 1691 »

I remember hearing something about DHL closing their ILN ops. and moving back to CVG. This is probably it.
Allan Burek-1691
Coordinator, Aircraft Maintenance Operations
mx@globecargova.org

Live Flight Deck Camera
eek

Post by eek »

Funny you mention that. Several weeks ago I was working near the departure end of 27 at CVG and a 747 roared overhead. Checked flightaware, and sure enough, it was PAC947 headed for ANC. This was back in July, so they transitioned a bit earlier, or were beginning to. Wasn't expecting to see a 747 there, especially a Polar 747. :shock: 8)
AmundRe

Post by AmundRe »

So are all of the flights that we do out of ILN going to transfer over to CVG now or will it be gradual?
Best Regards,
Captain Joppich, Steven "Mongoloid"
Pilot# 2011
"Hammer taken away from Midget."
Mike Schmitt

Post by Mike Schmitt »

I've heard DHL is pretty much closing up shop in the US and going back to Europe. Not sure of any truth behind this rumor.

Post by 1691 »

Mike Schmitt wrote:I've heard DHL is pretty much closing up shop in the US and going back to Europe. Not sure of any truth behind this rumor.
Its pretty much all truth. They are only maintaining 3-4 major US metro areas, and the rest is gone. Pretty much split between UPS and FedEx. Also, they are looking for a partner for the Deutche Post contract out of EDDK. UPS was the front runner, but for some reason the talks between the 2 broke off, so negotiations are open again.
Allan Burek-1691
Coordinator, Aircraft Maintenance Operations
mx@globecargova.org

Live Flight Deck Camera
mlegein
Site Admin

Post by mlegein »

Our new schedule uses CVG, and nothing in our out of ILN.
Michel Legein - #1279
Vice President
vp (at) globecargova (dot) org

5nm from KSUA